Tuesday, June 8, 2010

finally, a sunny day!



Of course, as I type this, it's clouding over again, but for more than a few hours today, it was actually sunny.

I know you're thinking - "It's Australia, isn't it always sunny?", but it has literally been raining for all of winter so far, and was for most of autumn too!

And it's been affecting my mood and motivation levels, which is odd because I was born in England, and grew up with much longer, colder and wetter winters than we get here in Sydney. Really miserable ones, in fact, and I don't remember being so emotionally affected by it!

So quite why I feel like I have seasonal affective disorder in this country, I can't explain. Perhaps it's because for so much of the year here it is hot and humid and sunny, and so that feels like the default. Whereas the majority of the time I have spent back in England has been over wintry Christmases, visiting family and spending lots of time rugged up or indoors taking advantage of the central heating, eating far too much pudding and drinking endless hot tea. So that seems like England's default to me. In fact, I feel a bit lost when I visit the UK in summer and see sunsets after 9pm, and temperatures above 10 degrees!

It also feels much colder here in winter than it should do, considering that the temperature here today is 18 degrees, which is only 2 degrees lower than it's forecast to be in London today, in summer. But Sydney's houses - especially the older townhouses where I live - were generally made without such things as adequate insulation and central heating, so it's generally much colder indoors than it is outside.

Anyway rant and emo-ness aside, I took advantage of the sunshine today and left my position huddling under a blanket on the sofa to take off my ugg boots and go for a walk. First stop, coffee and banana bread.



Next stop, ceasing procrastination and actually doing something constructive to get my shop up and running!!

(don't forget to follow my blog, follow me on twitter, or follow me on facebook to find out when that happens!)

4 comments:

  1. haha i think the charm is from knotts.
    I would have had no idea! Thats weird!

    -emm
    spindizzyfall

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to read this post, I thought I was the only one who hated this weather.

    Drop me an email and we'll arrange a brunch date or something - brooke.renew@hotmail.com - we can winge and bitch about the weather in person! hehe

    renewvintage.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops, can't spell.

    Will send you an email now, Brooke!

    ReplyDelete