Monday, June 28, 2010

back on the mainland

As much as I enjoy the internet on a daily basis (at breakfast my browser starts up automatically with my Gmail, facebook, twitter, ebay, blogger and etsy tabs already loaded, and it's all downhill from there, usually ending with me still browsing on my iphone in bed, the modern equivalent of reading a book under the covers), I always find it nice to get away from it every once in a while.

So when I was asked to head to a remote island with about 400 residents off the east coast of Australia to do some contracting work, I figured a couple of days without the internet and without mobile phone access would be pretty easy, and it was.

Although I think I would have been looking longingly at my iphone for signs of life a whole lot more, were my surroundings not absolutely breathtakingly beautiful...








Yep, that is one tiny plane for a 2 hour flight across the ocean... but I had a couple of extra wine top-ups and the nerves disappeared nicely :)







I didn't have a lot of free time as I was there to work (which is good for the bank balance!), but I managed to squeeze in a couple of hours of snorkelling in the lagoon, which is one of the most densely populated reefs I've ever seen, there were so many colourful fish and coral, and I saw two huge stingrays, which I swam around at speed!! No photos of the snorkelling sorry... boats + water + camera + uncoordinated me is not a good combination. I did get a photo of the huge fish on the ocean side of the island though.




And on the way back into Sydney, the flight took us over the Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge... Having moved to Sydney from the UK as a teen, I'm still blown away by this city sometimes. Wish the photos had come out better, but they were out a dirty plane window.






I wish I'd been there on holiday and not working, and for a few more days, I was sad to leave so soon! But I'm glad to be back in the city, especially as I'm planning for this renvintage malarky to go live this week! More on that to come... stay tuned :)

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a fun trip! I enjoyed the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos! really nice places.

    || M

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are insanely lucky! what is your job?? i want it!

    ReplyDelete